Mario Waldispühl is a young, enthusiastic kitchen chef of the Gasthof Krone Blatten restaurant in Malters, Switzerland. The native Lucerne chef is known for his creative and colorful cooking style which starts with fresh, seasonal ingredients grown locally throughout the region. From there, the chef and his staff apply imagination, a passion for cooking, and a love of food. This formula results in astonishing culinary combinations – a true feast for the eye and palate.
Whether he’s developing an elaborate multi-course menu, or making a ground-standing stew, the culinary talents of chef Mario Waldispühl extend well beyond the kitchen. Only a few months ago, the talented chef surprised attendees of the ILMAC exhibition in Basel, Switzerland by providing high-end, culinary creations to visitors at the KNF booth. Perhaps even more surprising than the location of the high-quality fare was the means by which they were created – using a KNF RC 900 Rotary Evaporator!
Mario Waldispühl explains the benefits of cooking with KNF’s RC Series Rotary Evaporator, and discusses his love for cuisine in the October, 2016 edition of KNF Neuberger, AG magazine, “Notabene” (German). The interview provided below is an excerpt from the English translation of the original article.
- While we are doing this interview, the summer season is already coming to an end, but the summer season Menu in Gasthof Krone Blatten is still up. – Which food would you order?”
“Clearly the basil ravioli! By the way, it’s the dish from the summer menu, which I cook best.”
- Do you have a culinary wish that you have not yet met?
“Fresh Maine lobster in a restaurant on the coast of Maine.”
- Is there a dish from your childhood that you have never got close to, what is your subjective opinion?
“Grandma’s dumplings! In such taste memories, of course, it is above all about feelings, about emotional bonding.”
- Let’s go from the “normal kitchen” and the emotions into the world of technology. Cooking with a rotary evaporator – when did you hear about it for the first time?
“About 10 years ago the molecular kitchen was very popular. This is where the rotary evaporator plays an important role. Because with it one can quickly and easily separate liquids, distill and boil at very low temperatures. The boiling point is considerably lower under vacuum; A tomato sauce, for example, boils in the rotary evaporator already at 40 degrees, whereas in classic cooking, between 70 and 80 degrees. I think every ambitious, modern chef dreams of cooking, experimenting with a rotary evaporator. For me it was so, but the devices are not quite cheap.”
- How did you get your rotary evaporator dream come true? Or in other words: How did you get to your rotary evaporator?
“I was lucky! I have a regular guest working at KNF Flodos. One night I was talking about the rotary evaporator and he asked if I were tempted to cook with one . And so it happened that I came to an RC 900 from KNF and to return the favor, I will cook at KNF’s Ilmac booth.”
- When this article is published, the exhibition is already over – and the “culinary secret” has already been aired. Can you tell us, therefore, with which delicacies you would like to pamper your guests?
“We start with a drink with chili and limes. Then there is tuna with chili, wasabi, seaweed- an indescribable taste experience! For dessert the main components will be chocolate and chili. And yes, chili did it to me; the results obtained with this spice with the rotary evaporator inspire me absolutely – an aromatics-technical revelation! We were able to hide the sharpness of the chili peppers, while the taste is fully revealed. So our “Little Experiment” at the fair is also very suitable for people who do not eat hot (spicy).”
- The RC 900 Rotary Evaporator from KNF is designed for laboratories. Is there something you think you should modify so that it is suitable for use in gastronomy?
“No not at all. It is perfect for us as it is – no changes! Except when KNF would develop a model that cleans itself, then … Fun aside: It is in the nature of the matter that we need a lot of time to clean the RC 900, but this is easy and can not be changed. But you can dream.”
Article originally appeared in KNF Neuberger, AG magazine, “Notabene”, Oct. 2016.